A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Health Update

Regular readers will know that I spent nearly half of last year in hospital being treated for POEMS syndrome, a rare neurological condition caused by antibodies produced by a bone marrow cancer, and that as a consequence I'm currently a wheelchair user (though making a steady physical recovery thanks to the community physiotherapy team in Hackney).

Today I went to UCH on Euston Road and got the results from a PET/CT scan I had earlier this month. It was good news - I still have a tumour, but it is continuing to shrink from the after effects of radiotherapy - I hadn't realised that the treatment can continue to produce results for up to two years. This means I won't have to have chemotherapy now - which would have put me back in hospital for two months as well as having a mortality risk associated with it - and won't have to so long as my physical recovery continues.

So the next few months look like being a bit more focused on politics and less on medical procedures than they could have been.

4 Comments:

Anonymous proudvotinglabour said...

Great news Luke, hope it all continues to get better as quickly as possible.

9:31 am, January 22, 2010

 
Anonymous M said...

Excellent news, Luke. Wishing you all the best in your recovery and with your local election campaigning.

11:19 am, January 22, 2010

 
Anonymous Dan said...

Luke, that's really good news. We're both thinking of you.

Dan

12:06 pm, January 22, 2010

 
Blogger Martin Meenagh said...

Excellent, keep right on to the end of the road

6:12 pm, January 22, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount