A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Thursday, September 03, 2009

Home

Apologies for the lack of posts since Monday.

I've been busy getting home from hospital after a five month stay, during which I was diagnosed with POEMS syndrome (a tumour that produces antibodies that attack the nervous system and hence cause muscular weakness), treated with radiotherapy and then had two months of intensive physiotherapy.

I've recovered from a low point of being stuck in bed with my legs out of action, my trunk muscles weakened and my hands not functioning properly.

I can now walk in the gym with a splint on my weaker leg and two physios holding my hands for balance. Rest of the time I need a wheelchair. Independent indoor walking should follow in the New Year after a readmission for another month of intensive physio. Getting rid of the wheelchair completely could take up to two years. Hopefully I will avoid a relapse of the illness, which would require treatment with chemotherapy.

I'd like to publicly thank all the staff who looked after me in the Acute Care Unit and Lamb Ward at the Homerton Hospital; John Young Ward and the Neurological Rehabilitation Unit at the National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery; and in the haematology and radiotherapy teams at University College Hospital. I feel privileged to have met such professional and caring people.

Thanks also to my fellow patients for their company; to friends, work colleagues and Labour comrades for visiting me; and to my family, particularly my partner Linda and son Jed for their love and support.

My normal levels of offline political activity resume shortly - online it's never stopped.

Meanwhile I'm getting used to life on wheels and enjoying being at home for the first time in a very long time.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mark Thompson said...

Great to hear you are back Luke. I hope your recovery is speedy.

11:46 pm, September 03, 2009

 
Blogger Merseymike said...

Welcome home and hope your recovery continues apace

1:04 am, September 04, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back Luke. Best wishes for a fast and full recovery

Louise Bagshawe

6:37 am, September 04, 2009

 
Blogger Stuart King said...

Really pleased for you, Luke. Best wishes for a continuing recovery.

8:06 am, September 04, 2009

 
Anonymous Antonia Bance said...

That's wonderful news, Luke. Take care, and hope the recovery continues apace. Antonia

8:26 am, September 04, 2009

 
Blogger Ravi Gopaul said...

Glad to hear your home, keep getting better!

8:46 am, September 04, 2009

 
Blogger TT said...

get well soon Luke

10:18 am, September 04, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome back mate - really pleased for you - see you soon!

rick muir

11:02 am, September 04, 2009

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that your on the mend. All the best.

4:03 pm, September 04, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I though two months in hospital was bad. Good luck with your recovery.

4:35 pm, September 04, 2009

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see you back, Now get stuck into the revisionists !

GW

9:55 pm, September 04, 2009

 
Blogger Karl-Marx-Straße said...

Poems syndrome? I'm reminded of one by Roger McGough.

12:42 pm, September 05, 2009

 
Anonymous Mrs Trellis said...

Let's hope that poor old Gordon is getting treatment and feeling better soon too.

3:52 am, September 07, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount