A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Who are Compass backing?

For an organisation dedicated to changing the political direction of the Labour Party, Compass seem a bit silent on the current NEC elections. They aren't part of the Grassroots Alliance yet some individual Compass members seem to see themselves as part of a "broad left".

Who are they backing?

I'm particularly interested to know their stance on Treasurer, given the personal backgrounds of both Neal Lawson and Jon Cruddas in the TGWU, Jack Dromey's union.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do't think Compass has any interest in a body that basically has no power. I don't recall Compass getting involved in past NEC elections and am pleased they're not now. There's not much point.

3:05 am, July 03, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I voted for McDonald, more to fire a shot across the bows than anything else.

A Treasurer who makes a virtue out of not being in the financial loop leaves a bit to be desired.

8:31 am, July 03, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To my knowledge Compass are not 'backing' any candidates in the NEC election.

I have to confess to having little enthusiasm for either of the slates.

10:09 am, July 03, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think Compass sees this a priority.

They're right.

6:23 pm, July 03, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as

6:23 pm, July 03, 2008

 
Blogger Tom said...

"I do't think Compass has any interest in a body that basically has no power. I don't recall Compass getting involved in past NEC elections and am pleased they're not now. There's not much point."

I think that says it all.

I voted down between both slates, as I have enthusiasm for neither.

on treasurer, I voted McDonald, simply because I'm concerned as to why our finances are already such a mess, and because he's had the gumption to actually lobby activists where JD has not.

Quite like JD's platform, though.

7:10 pm, July 07, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount