A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Monday, January 21, 2008

Dinner invite to the Home Secretary

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith has made some unfortunate remarks suggesting she wouldn't feel safe on the street after dark in my home borough of Hackney.

I guess it depends which street.

Personally, I put this down to the usual ignorance of south-of-the-river dwellers (her London base is in Peckham) about anywhere north of the Thames. I'm sure I'm just as ignorant as her, but in my case about sarf London - I always thought (based entirely on watching Only Fools and Horses) that Peckham was a hell hole until I actually went there and discovered it had streets of Georgian town houses as well as decaying estates.

If Jacqui would like a night out in Hackney, Linda and I would be delighted to take her and her Special Branch protection team and Special Advisers to any one of numerous eateries - I'm fairly sure the Turkish restaurants on the A10 are way better at kebabs than the place she goes to in Peckham - where she will discover that actually Hackney is a very good place to go out in the evening. Probably better to avoid the "Best Turkish Kebab" on Stoke Newington Road though, as that is frequented by the coppers from Stokey police station, who might want to bend her ear about pay increases.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ravi Gopaul said...

The first I ever saw of Hackney was shown on the programme "Secret Millionaire".

The said millionaire was a 25 year old internet "Whizz Kid" Ben Way.
He donated, I think, £500,000 to a youth club (Pedro, is that right?).

Although it looked a little run down in places, Hackney seemed a very friendly place, that said I would not be that comfortable walking round anywhere in Britain (espcially Liverpool or London) at night on my own.

1:40 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of touch! Not in the real world!

Got a kebab once in Peckham!! Ha ha hilarious

How the hell did she get the job

It was the Pedro Club on Clapton Park estate your thinking off

2:14 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought admitting to eating a kebab for dinner was more damaging. So much for healthy eating. The word lummox cow comes into mind.

I've only had one incident while working in the city It was soon resolved by my 45 stone german shepherd and a bit of low carbon steel I keep in the van. A toe rag broke into my van while on call....but came face to face with my dog.

People need to stand up for themselves and make sure these thugs know it won't be tolerated. If your streets are run by thugs then go out there and take them back.

My experience is that yobs are the minority and the vast majority of British youth are well behaved and hard working. Politicians can do very little about this without people standing up against it.

2:15 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Blogger Jackson Jeffrey Jackson said...

I saw some PCSOs eating in the far superior Cafe Z the other day.

Maybe they can afford it because they got above 2% pay increase while the plod have to make do with...

2:59 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PCSO another one of Labours amazing rubbish ideas. What on earth were they thinking?

3:05 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rich said...PCSO another one of Labours amazing rubbish ideas. What on earth were they thinking?

PCSOs are actually very popular in many communities. That's why several Tory MPs, including my own, have had to apologise for their 'plastic policemen' jibes.

4:00 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PCOS are very popular with criminal communities because it means they will never get caught.

6:18 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rich - you're a moron

8:39 pm, January 21, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Community Support Officers are really the answer to crime.

I would prefer the money to be spent on more police rather than a load of numpties wearing high vis shirts.

People want police and not a council run security service.

11:10 am, January 22, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount