A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Another by-election on the 20th

It's a shame I will be busy in Springfield Ward on 20 December, otherwise I'd be on the train to Benfleet as on the same day Labour has a chance of winning back a toehold on Castle Point District Council, where I was parliamentary candidate in 2005.

Two Tory councillors have quit over allegations of benefit fraud.

They represented St Mary's, which is the best ward for Labour on the "Mainland" i.e. the non-Canvey Island part of Castle Point.

Labour is running two excellent candidates - Brian Wilson who was my Agent in 2005, and Co-Op stalwart Tony Wright - who between them have 22 years experience as councillors for that ward until 2003. As the Castle Point CLP website points out, unlike their Tory successors they actually held advice surgeries and made themselves available to local residents - not much to ask and taken for granted in London (at least I hope it is) but in some parts of rural and suburban England a key differentiator between Labour and Tory councillors.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I've looked and I've looked but I cant find any reference to Tories being involved in benefit fraud.

Are the press being selective ?

11:47 pm, December 02, 2007

 
Blogger Merseymike said...

Mind you, I note that those who defended Cllr. Miranda Grell are now keeping quiet after she lost her appeal and has been expelled from the Labour party.

9:52 am, December 04, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount