A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Free advice

Amongst the people I would least trust for advice about any aspect whatsoever of how to win an election would be Labour's least successful leader ever, Michael Foot.

That hasn't stopped him offering his advice though.

Foot also says of Callaghan and the 1979 election "What I regret is that he didn't postpone it again". Admittedly I was only seven at the time but my reading of the history books is that it wasn't open to Callaghan to "postpone it again" as he had lost a vote of confidence in the Commons.

2 Comments:

Blogger Merseymike said...

Seems like exscelklent sense toi me, Luke.

I'm afraid you will have to realise that the vast majority of people recognise that Iraq was a mistake, and I am sure that the neo-con approach is dead in the water.

It was a failure and did more than anything else to harm Labour. Had there been a coherent opposition then we would have lost the last two elections, but there was no opposition.

Funny how the 'israel can do no wrong' lobby can't understand how those with a more balanced view have no time for their crusades.

11:11 pm, September 20, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What has UIsrael got to do with the timing of the 1979 election.

Luke, I think Michael Foot is pretty old - I think blame more lies with the Parliamentary Monitor who didn't realise that what he said didn't really make sense and Press Released it to the world.

The should have shown him more respect.

10:50 am, September 21, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount