A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Monday, February 19, 2007

Stars in their eyes

I wasn't needing convincing abour replacing Trident, but if I was then CND's enlistment of some of the blandest names in British music probably would have convinced me.

Thom Yorke, Damon Albarn, Razorlight, Snow Patrol, Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand, Super Furry Animals and Supergrass all say "ban the bomb".

Who needs the bomb any way, we could deter our enemies by threatening to bombard them with Snow Patrol at full volume on a perpetual loop.

And what a clinching argument: the chiefs of staff say we need a strategic deterrent, but Razorlight say we don't. Give me strength.

I wouldn't trust Razorlight's judgement on choosing a breakfast cereal let alone whether to invest in a new generation of nuclear weapons.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't fault your analysis of Snow Patrol - I'd certainly favour sending them to Afghanistan to bore the Taliban into submission - but I must disagree with you on Razorlight. Anyone who writes a song that includes the lyric 'don't go back to Dalston' is alright with me......

11:11 am, February 20, 2007

 
Blogger Ewan Watt said...

I think we should listen to Morrissey over Trident "Come, come nuclear bomb..."

5:50 pm, February 20, 2007

 
Blogger Chris Paul said...

Come on Luke! Can you please now list the musicians and B list celebs who are backing your own hawkish position? We want trident and we want it right now! Rod Stewart? Bill Wyman? And the god bothering Cliff Richard? Hawkwind? The B52s and U2 perhaps?

Cliff's reported remark in explaining hosting the Blairs: "He's doing a terrible job etc etc" (he meant difficult I guess).

11:57 am, February 21, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's not love then it's the bomb!

12:21 am, February 22, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount