A blog by Luke Akehurst about politics, elections, and the Labour Party - With subtitles for the Hard of Left. Just for the record: all the views expressed here are entirely personal and do not necessarily represent the positions of any organisations I am a member of.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Akehurst on Tour Part 3

Just got back from Camden Town Hall where I debated Trident replacement vs. CND at the GC AGM of Holborn & St Pancras CLP, my old stamping ground in the '90s when I was Frank Dobson's Agent.

Unlike Compass' one-sided non- debate tonight on Trident, Holborn & St Pancras CLP held a real debate with contributions from the floor making intelligent, well-informed points on both sides.

They also took a vote - which I'm sorry to say my side of the argument lost 32-10 - though that was 10 more votes than I had predicted... Most of the 10 on my side seemed to be younger members.

The CLP seemed in good health - as the voting figures show there were 42 delegates there - representing nearly 900 members with over 130 in one ward - and lots of new people who hadn't been around a decade ago when I was last there.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Luke

I read your blog regularly but have not posted as yet.

We are planning to have a debate at Newcastle LGC AGM on Trident replacement as well - we wanted something less LG focused this time.

Would you like to come and speak. We'll have a good turnout, pay your train ticket and put you up for the night with some good Gerodie hospitality.

What's your number, will give you a ring

Thanks

Mal

1:12 am, March 01, 2007

 
Blogger Luke Akehurst said...

Malcolm

thanks for the invite but I'm unlikely to be able to make the trip.

Of your local MPs, Doug Henderson has made several pro-Trident interventions in the House. A debate between him and Nick Brown on this might be interesting!

Luke

9:42 am, March 02, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Free Hit Counters
OfficeDepot Discount